- Prime Minister of Iceland , since June 15, 2006.
- Member of the Icelandic Parliament, Althingi, since 1987
- Chairman of the Independence Party since 2005
Other recent positions:
- Minister for Foreign Affairs, 2005 - 2006.
- Minister of Finance, 1998 - 2005.
- Vice-Chairman of the Independence Party, 1999 - 2005.
- Vice-President, OECD Ministerial Meeting 2004.
- Chairman, Nordic Council of Finance Ministers, 2004 and 1999.
- Member, International Monetary and Financial Committee of the International Monetary Fund, 2002 - 2004.
- Chairman, Parliamentary Group of the Independence Party, 1991 - 1998.
- Chairman, Foreign Affairs Committee of the Althingi, 1995 - 1998.
- President of the Nordic Council, 1995. Member, Presidium of the Nordic Council 1991 - 1998.
- Member, Executive Committee of the Inter-Parliamentary Union 1994 - 1998. VP 1995 - 1997.
- Chairman, Conservative Party Group in the Nordic Council, 1995 - 1997.
- Chairman, Standing Committee of Parliamentarians of the Arctic Region 1995 - 1998.
Other work experience:
Political Advisor to the Minister of Finance, 1983 - 1987.
Economist, International Department, Central Bank of Iceland, 1977 - 1983 .
M.A. Economics, University of Minnesota, USA, 1977.
M.A. with distinction, International relations, Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies, USA, 1975.
B.A. magna cum laude, Economics, Brandeis University, USA, 1973.
Doctor of Laws h. c., University of Minnesota, 2007.
Alumni of the Year Award 2006, Brandeis University.
Born 1951. Married to Inga Jona Thordardottir, former member of the City Council of Reykjavik. Five children.