Tuesday 1 June 2010 - Plenary Sitting
Kipsala International Exhibition Centre, Riga, Latvia
The session was opened on Tuesday 1 June 2010 at 9.05 with John Tanner (United States), President of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, in the Chair.
1. Opening of the sitting
The President welcomed participants.
The Assembly observed a one-minute silence as a mark of respect to those who had lost their lives in the Smolensk air accident in April.
The President expressed his deep regrets over the loss of lives and the injuries that occurred on the Mavi-Marmara, a ship in the flotilla sailing to Gaza. He was certain that all NATO Parliamentary Assembly delegates shared this sentiment and were looking forward to a full report that would establish the facts of what happened1.
2. Address by John Tanner, President of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly
3. Address by Gundars Daudze, Speaker of the Saeima
Mr Daudze addressed the Assembly.
The President thanked Mr Daudze.
4. Address by Valdis Dombrovskis, Prime Minister of Latvia, followed by a question and answer period
Mr Dombrovskis addressed the Assembly and answered questions from Mr Bayley (United Kingdom), Mr Miranda Calha (Portugal), Mr Agov (Bulgaria), Mr Austrevicius (Lithuania), Mr Mates (United Kingdom) and Mr Tagarinski (Bulgaria).
The President thanked Mr Dombrovskis.
Mr Wardak addressed the Assembly and answered questions from Mr Day (Canada), Mr Sidorowicz (Poland), Mr Mikser (Estonia), Mr Lello (Portugal), Mr Boulaud (France), Mr Alaboyun (Turkey) and Mr Frunzulica (Romania).
The President thanked Mr Wardak.
6. Presentation and Vote on the Report of the Treasurer of the Assembly, Pierre Claude Nolin on the Results of Financial Year 2009 and the current financial year [119 FIN 10 E bis], the Audited Financial Statements for 2009 [147 FIN 10 E], and the Audited Provident Fund Annual Report 2009 [012FIN10 E bis]
The Report of the Treasurer was adopted.
The Audited Financial Statements for 2009 were adopted.
The Audited Provident Fund Annual Report 2009 was adopted.
The President thanked the Treasurer.
7. Address by Anders Fogh Rasmussen, Secretary General of NATO and President of the North Atlantic Council, followed by a question and answer period
Anders Fogh Rasmussen addressed the Assembly.
Vahit Erdem (Turkey), as Chairman of the Mediterranean and Middle East Special Group, made a short statement on Israel’s intervention against the flotilla of humanitarian aid to Gaza which resulted in a high number of victims. He protested that the operation had taken place in international waters and in violation of international law. He stressed that it would have negative effects on security and stability in the region. He was grateful to all international authorities and national governments that condemned the operation. He urged the government of Israel to release the detainees as soon as possible.
The President thanked Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
8. Address by General Egon Ramms, Commander, Allied Joint Force Command, Brunssum, followed by a question and answer period
General Ramms addressed the Assembly and answered questions from Mr Erdem (Turkey) and Mr Bayley (United Kingdom).
The President thanked General Ramms.
9. Closure of the Session
The President thanked the Latvian delegation, its staff, the International Secretariat, the security staff, the interpreters and all the others who had helped the session run so smoothly.