Political Committee (PC)
In 2020, the committee will be working on the following draft reports which will be discussed at the Spring Session in Kyiv.
- Draft General Report by Gerald CONNOLLY (United States):
The rise of China: implications for global and Euro-Atlantic security
- PCNP Draft Report by Sonia KRIMI (France):
- PCTR Draft Report by Ahmet YILDIZ (Turkey):
Security Dynamics in the Gulf
Reports titles are subject to change
Committee Director: Andrius AVIZIUS
The Political Committee (PC) focuses on all political questions concerning the security of NATO and its member and partner countries.
The Committee has two Sub-Committees: The Sub-Committee on NATO Partnerships (PCNP) & the Sub-Committee on Transatlantic Relations (PCTR)
The areas covered by the Political Committee include:
- The current and future role of the Alliance for Euro-Atlantic security;
- All political and diplomatic aspects of NATO’s adaptation to a changing international security environment;
- The political and security aspects of the North American and European relationship;
- Existing and evolving partnerships of the Alliance, including NATO programmes EAPC/PfP, ICI and Partners across the Globe as well as the Special Relationships with Ukraine and Georgia and relations with Russia;
- All political aspects of NATO’s existing and developing relationships with International Organisations, particularly the EU and the UN, but also others;
- The continuing enlargement of the Alliance and the respective programmes that prepare applicant countries for possible membership (e.g., MAP);
- All political and diplomatic aspects that relate to new and emerging security threats confronting Allies and Partners, including WMD proliferation, internationally active terrorist groups, failed and failing states, as well as ‘states of concern’;
- Regional security issues that have an impact on Allied security;
- The political discussions and decisions on the means of Allied defence, including, among others, the role of nuclear weapons and defensive systems;
- The discussion relating to the importance of strengthening of promoting gender awareness in all aspects of international security.